Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Wager

I tend to get more done when I have something at stake. My friend Nate has been working on a novel for a long time and is trying to wrap up the editing so we agreed on a date in August as the final date. As an incentive he agreed to a most horrible punishment should he fail to meet the date.

He will have to watch a Bob Sagat comedy special. True punishment indeed.

But then I thought that wasn't fair. I have been wanting to draw a 64 page comic book for years now. I decided to take the same bet. I've been drawing on and off all month but I haven't been able to find the character design I'm really interested in. Then it hit me! Back when I worked at KB Toys I bought a bunch of Bendos figures and they are perfect as a starting place for my design. There was a lot of tweaking but the initial sketches are promising.

I've admit I've been procrastinating actually writing the thing. I know what I want. It will be only slightly more mature than Captain Underpants.

This morning I was wasting some time doing manual labor. I had to disassemble the Cub Scout Pack's Independence Day parade float. Everything was going swimmingly until a sheet of plywood slipped out of my hand and landed corner first on my big toe. Yup. Broken. I'm off my feet for the foreseeable future. But I wrote the first 1/4 of the book throughout the day. So maybe the fates perspired against me once again.

Here is my art card of the day. I'm going to try to put out one piece a day. They have been created over several years. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment