Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Camping, Cooking, Cottonwood, Catching Up

Camping
Last weekend I went camping with the Cub Scouts.  It was 3 days and 2 nights of fun and excitement that Caleb will long remember.  He caught his first, second and third fish; rainbow trout in Lake Challenge.  We hiked up to Crystal Falls and perilously crossed streams trying to keep our feet dry.

To say that it rained a lot would be an understatement.  The first day was fantastic.  The second day the kids happily allowed themselves to be soaked to the skin as they ran and played all day.  Conflict was low and I think everyone had a great time.

Cooking

I used a dutch oven for the first time.  I made a bbq bean chili the first night.  It got rave reviews, although I only got one bite.  10 people arrived right before dinner bringing the total for that meal to 66.  There was plenty of other food but I will make a bit more next time.  One of the Scout parents is a chef and prepared a dozen and a half trout.

My next meal was actually dessert on the last night.  It was an orange pineapple cobbler surprise.  Wow!  It was fantastic!  I enjoyed cooking and learned lots of time saving tips and cooking techniques.

We were picked up from camp on Monday and headed right down to Buckley to decorate the Bagnall family graves, an annual tradition.  By the time we got home I was beat.  Caleb was too.

Cottonwood

We arrived to the cottonwood trees in full blossom.  The air has been thick with while fluff all week.  I grew up with terrible, even debilitating sinus infections caused by pollen and pollution.  I outgrew much of it and for several years my 4 seasonal colds per year disappeared.  Then we moved to Mill Creek where we are surrounded by cottonwood trees.  They have kicked my butt.  I have prescription meds which help with most of the symptoms but the headaches are terrible and my eyes both itch and ache.  I've been staying off the computer as much as possible.

Catching Up

As a result of that I am playing catch up.  I got a lot done today and will finish tomorrow.  I owe Cub Scouts several emails and need to finish my ATC swap.


No comments:

Post a Comment